The Special Election Period (SEP) for "Change of Residence" is available when the beneficiary is moving out of his/her Medicare plan's service area.
Question: What is the timing of this Special Election Period?
(1) If you tell your Medicare Part D plan or Medicare Advantage plan before you move:
The Special Enrollment Period begins the month prior
to the month you plan to permanently move, continues during
the month of the move, and two months after
(2) If you tell your Medicare Part D plan or Medicare Advantage plan after you move:
The Special Enrollment Period begins the month you notify
your Medicare about your permanently move, and continues for two more months after
notifying your plan.
Question: What evidence do you need to justify this SEP?
- Voter registration card, driver’s license, tax records, utility bills.
- Documentation of being outside the plan service area over 6 months.
- Application or signed statement from the member indicating they have permanently moved into or out of the previous service area.
You can click here to view our Q1Medicare list of other Special Election Periods (SEPs)